Name: Kim Olsen
Occupation: Linux System Administrator
I am a 34 year-old experienced system administrator on multiple system-architectures / types in different operation-settings. I mainly focus on Linux and Unix-type (POSIX) systems on
x86 / x86_64 and various ARM-platforms.
I also have varied experience(s) with select PowerPC-platforms
(like Power Mac G5
(PowerPC 970FX) with OS X) and some
Sparc-platforms (SPARC64 / UltraSPARC)
running Sun Solaris
(I have experience with this OS on both the SPARC- and x86/x64-platforms).
I would describe myself as independant, structured, problem-solving and responsible. I like challenges and am not afraid to give an extra effort. I also possess quite a bit of special competancy in; admin / security / network, but I also learn quickly about new technology.
I have american blood on my mother-side of the family, so I both talk and write fluent english.
Earlier positions have included responsibilities and work-tasks that includes: system-administation, network-security, server-patching / -problem-solving, rack/blade-operation and other complicated (and less complicated) assignments in datacenter- / «corporate»- and small / medium-sized private businesses.
In Linux-based technology I have used different distributions over the years (even on differencing platforms), but always ended up using (and loving) the 3 originals; Slackware, Debian and Red Hat.
I personally use desktop-Linux for daily routines / tasks, have favored the use of Linux for server-tasks / stability, use my own customized Linux-based solutions on integrated systems (embedded / SoC) for diverse purposes (weather, surveillance, digital remote-lock) and I've configured and operated standard-services (e-mail / webservers / routing / SQL / NoSQL) and more advanced services (OpenStreetMap / PostgreSQL / PostGIS / enterprise-firewalls).
On these forementioned platforms and systems, I have (among other things) most experience with the following solution-stacks
LAMP (+ other AMP-stacks) and
Among catalog-services I have experience setting up and operating SMB/CIFS+OpenLDAP (cross-platform AD-compatibility) and standard *nix-specific LDAP+NFS-structure(s).
I also have normal > advanced experience with more conventional types of operating systems, data-ecosystems and setups
Wintel / Active Directory) / Cisco Catalyst / HP ProCurve and other brands / types of OSI (Level 2+3) enterprise-/datacenter-level networking equipment.
I did consulting work on programming and utilizing
for use within an open source "geolocation"
framework, while at the same time maintaining / operating and securing the rack-infrastructure (domain, network,
web-servers, databases, maptile-servers, geolookup, reverse-geolookup, coordinate-search, and so on)
that comprises the backend(s) for the whole framework.
I've dipped my hands in a plethora of computing-environments and usecases, you could basically call me a computing
I've also programmed quite a bit in a heap of different languages, like:
Got any questions? Or maybe an opportunity waiting?
Feel free to contact me:
I started in October 2017 as Cloud Engineer for an innovative, creative and groundbreaking company involved in:
Deep Learning / Machine Learning, Artificial Neural Network / AI, Natural Language Processing (NLP) software (algorithms) that drive and train automated virtual assistant-models (popularly called "chatbots") on cloud-based GPU servers (GPU Cloud Computing).
Here I do DevOps for full-stack developers / web-developers / AI-trainers and customers.
In June through September 2017 I did some contracting as a web-developer, with the following responsibilities:
I have broad experience as both an administrator and as a user in different industrial- and business-environments:
First to third line > service / operation / support:
- WAN-ISP / middleware / datacenter / in-house support:
- terminals, mini-servers, servers, rack-servers, MFDs, and so on.
- customer support, tech support, troubleshooting, error correction, maintenance, and so on.
- on-location, co-hosting / co-location
- virtual hosting (VPS), VPN, IP-VPN and SSLVPN.
- remote-location, shared hosting (co-hosting / co-location)
- virtual hosting (VPS), VPN, IP-VPN and SSLVPN
- 4G, 3G+, 3G, EDGE, GPRS, Radio, WiFi
Virtual / physical server hosting / co-hosting:
- DB-servers, SAN-servers, NAS-servers and various VPS-solutions, like:
- Microsoft Hyper-V / System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- VMware vSphere | ESX / ESXi
- Parallels Virtuozzo
- Oracle Virtualbox
- and other Linux-based alterntives, like: qemu, KVM, and so on...
Big- / medium- / small-sized storage solutions:
- SAN-racks, SAN-servers, NAS-racks, NAS-servers, NAS-miniservers
- Implementing RAID 1-6 / 1+0 on 64-bit Linux servers / 64-bit Windows Server 20xx
- High-speed / High-Availability iSCSI, SAN, and so on.
Server operating systems:
- Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2008R2 / 2012R2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian, Ubuntu Server, CentOS, Slackware, and similar
- FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and similar.
- OS X Server.
Client operating systems:
- Windows 95 / 98SE / XP / 7 / 8.1 / 10
- Fedora Core, Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu MATE, Linux Mint, Solus, Debian, SuSE, Slackware, and similar.
- Dragonfly BSD, Desktop BSD, and similar.
- Mac OS 9 / X.
- E-mail services (selected admin-interfaces)
- MS Exchange, Postfix, Exim, Squirrel mail, IceWarp, sendmail, and so on.
- Nameserver(s) (DNS): BIND9, Active Directory, cPanel.
- Firewall(s): IPTables, ufw, pf, ipfw, WS2008R2, WS2012R2.
- Monitoring: PRTG, HP OpenView, Snort.
- Digital map: OpenStreetMap (2D slip-map), Nominatim (address-/coordinate-search)
- GIS-database(s): PostGIS (PostgreSQL - Geographic Information System)
For OSM-use and map-tile generation (renderd > 2d slip-map map-tiles)
- GeoIP: PHP-v5.x based IPv4 geo-location (find geographical location for an IP-address)
Everything can be performed on a variety of different computer-platforms and product-types for
internal/external access, setup of mentioned access-types and other data-related work-operations.
I rarely limit myself to one spesific product, or one particular platform.
| 2012 - now
||Steam for Linux — beta-tester
|2014 - now
||Linux bug-reporting / debugging to various game-companies.
Ex: Team17, Haemimont Games, darkForge, Feral Interactive, etc.
Google Hangouts (IM):